Pages

11/15/2012

A teeny tiny gift

My coworker's wife just had a baby two days ago. I love shopping for baby clothes because everything's tiny and cute and soft and it has teddy bears and dinosaurs and unicorns on it and, to be really honest, I'd love to wear dinosaurs and unicorns, but it seems I'm too old for that.

Anyways! While I love shopping for it, I've never been good at turning it into a cute gift. Cuter than the little socks and shirts are on their own. But then I found this pin on Pinterest that turned baby shirts into muffins. They'd just roll it up, put it in paper muffin cups and then in a box and voilá - shirt muffins.

So, today I went to a baby store, found a cute blue shirt that I wanted to use as the muffin base and a beige cap that I wanted to use as topping. I also bought muffin cups and pre-made hard frosting for decoration.

I tried my very, very best to roll the shirt up and fit it into the cup, but it was way too big and looked really ridiculous. I folded some doily to make it look like a muffin cup but that was even worse. And when I was on the edge of giving up and just wrapping newspaper around it, I thought "Why not just use the cap and put the shirt in the box without being muffin-ed?"

And so I tried. It took me a few minutes, but eventually I figured it out. I pushed the top of the cap down in the middle so the cap was only half as big and then started to roughly form a circle out of the lower seam. Then I pinched and squeezed the top of the cap so it looked muffin-ish and secured the bottom with ribbon. I placed it in the muffin cup, glued the frosting on top - and there I had my lovely little baby cap muffin.

I'm really surprised that it turned out so well because as I said - I'm usually not very good at it. Once you've figured it out, it's not too hard to make. I made a gift back out of wrapping paper, put the shirt and muffin inside and then glued it shut with a doily. The results are below, I hope you like it.

The "muffin" inside the gift bag, together with the shirt I got.

Baby cap muffin!

The doily-ed gift bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment