Pages

9/25/2012

DIY scrubs for soft and clean skin!


Today, I learned how to make scrubs. And boy, this is easy. I made a lemon scrub for myself and a mud scrub for Dr. Snyder. Though, let's face it, I'm most likely going to use both and he will only sniff them occasionally. But I shall be okay with that because they're so delicious that I nearly want to eat them!

First, the mud scrub. You don't even need to go shopping for this, you should have all of it in your kitchen already!
You need
1/2 cup ground coffee
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil

Now, there are a few options here. You can use brown sugar, it's easier on the hands and good for sensitive skin. I used normal sugar because I like the sparkle and since Snyder has rough hands, I didn't think it necessary to make it suitable for sensitive skin. I used olive oil, but you can use any oil you want, though I'd recommend vegetable or olive oil.

If you've got all the ingredients measured up, you first mix the sugar and the coffee and then add the oil. Mix it again until you've got a rather dry paste. As you can see in the picture, the mud scrub isn't as oily as the lemon scrub. If you'd rather have it a little oilier, just use more oil (there's really not much you can do wrong here).
The scrub smells mostly like coffee. If you'd rather tweak that a bit, you can add vanilla oil or a different scent you like. Vanilla goes nicely with the scent of coffee. Just add a few drops until it smells the way you want it.

For the lemon scrub you need
1 cup sugar
1/4-1/2 cup oil
1-2 table spoons lemon juice

This pretty much works like the other scrub - you mix the sugar and oil until you've got a paste. This one is a little oilier than the other one, if you want it a little drier, just add more sugar. Make sure the sugar is soaked in oil before you add the lemon juice so it doesn't dissolve.
I added a bit of an extra here - I already had lemon juice cooked with rosemary from a different project so instead of "plain" lemon juice, I added 2 table spoons of that one. It gives off a nice scent together with the faint scent of the olive oil I used. It smells really fresh and now that it's getting colder outside, it's a bit like washing your hands with spring, as weird as that may sound!

Make sure to put the scrubs into a mason jar or any other jar with a lid and place it next to the sink or in the shower. It works nicely to get rid of paint or glue on our fingers, and let's be honest, if you paint and craft a lot, you know how annoying that can be. Super easy to make, it took me 5-10 minutes to make those and they're nice as a birthday or holiday gift as well!

If you want to try different versions of this - it's really almost fool proof. You can add oranges to the lemon scrub, for example. I'd appreciate your results in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment