Pages

9/30/2012

Stuffed pork loin with rosemary potatoes

Yum! We were so busy apartment-hunting yesterday that I didn't even have time to post the recipe for my awesome lunch. We had about five minutes to eat it after I finished it, because we had appointment after appointment, but those five minutes were amazing.

What do you need?
Pork loin/pork fillet. If you roll the meat, you can use steak, too. (Use as much as you need for the people you're cooking for, I used about 400 gram for 2 persons that love meat)
150 gram cream cheese
100-200 gram bacon bits
1 green onion
4 potatoes (you can use more potatoes, of course. Rosemary potatoes still taste great, even when they're cold)
Rosemary twigs
Salt
Olive oil
Butter/Margarine for roasting the meat

The recipe is fairly simple but delicious. I started with the potatoes while the Doctor was off to buy cream cheese. I cut them into slices (they get crispier the thinner you slice them), put them into an oven pan and cut the rosemary. I didn't cut it into small pieces but left them big on purpose. They are tasty to eat when they're out of the oven. I spread those over the potatoes, added salt (more than you'd normally use on potatoes, so every potato has salt on it) and then poured olive oil over them.

The stuffing for the pork loin is simple as well. While I put the meat on the stove to roast it lightly (just for the colour and so the pores would close), I simply mixed the bacon bits, the cut spring onion and the cream cheese. Already done! I cut the pork loin in the middle so I had room for the stuffing and then spread it. You can see the pictures of that below.

Roast it for only a minute on high heat so it gets the roasting aroma but stays raw on the inside, then add a deep cut in the middle for the stuffing

Mix the ingredients until there's enough cream cheese to cover all the bacon bits and spring onion. You can vary the amounts to your liking

Spread the stuffing in the cut, you can add as much as you want here, I added enough so it filled the cut and not more because I didn't want it to spill all over the meat
Now that that's done, you can continue a few different ways. You can leave the cut open and put it into an oven dish. Or you knot thread around it so it stays shut. Or, and that's what I did, you cover it in aluminium foil. Make sure there's some pressure on it when you wrap the foil around the meat and twirl the ends so it looks a bit like a bonbon. That way, the meat juice stays inside and doesn't spill on the bottom of your oven (we don't want to make a huge mess, do we?).



This is what it looked like when I put it in the oven. You can see the aluminium foiled meat in the back and the potatoes in front. I left it in the oven at 200°C/350°F for about 40 minutes and then served it. If you want a bit more crisp to your meat, you can open the foil and leave it in for another 10 minutes, maybe even add some sprinkled cheese if the cream cheese isn't enough for you. However, we hardly had time to eat after it was done, so I skipped that step.

And even without that step, oh boy. It tasted amazing. I've never eaten rosemary potatoes before, so that was heavenly all by itself. But the meat was great as well. Because of the aluminium foil, it stayed really soft and juicy, we hardly needed knives to cut it. Below is a picture of the results.


Crispy potatoes, soft, pink meat and delicious stuffing. Definitely making that again. Not much work, simple steps - that recipe is a keeper. I'm trying a similar one sometime soon with chicken breast instead of pork loin and arugula, cream cheese and pine seeds. I'll post the recipe when I've done it

I hope you like this one and try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment