Pages

9/25/2012

Our DIY bathroom

This is going to be a bit of a long post here. I don't have a picture of how the bathroom initially looked like, but this one should give you an idea.






It was bad. And I mean really bad. In this picture, we already ripped off the wallpaper and placed the new cabinet under the sink, but yeah, the rest was pretty much just like it.
As you can see, there's this orange paint that makes sure you don't get mold on your wall. Well, they painted it right on the wall and then added wallpaper, so with wallpaper in the shower, we had mold after a few weeks. We got rid of it again and again, but it looked really ugly because it left dark spots.
We also got a new bath tub after the old one literally rusted through to the point where the water just ran into our downstairs neighbour's ceiling. Instead of either changing all the tiles to white tiles or coating the bath tub in those yellow-ish tiles, they just mixed it up and we got what you can see above. Suffice to say, we weren't happy.

Now, before I moved into this apartment, Dr. Snyder lived there by himself. So he didn't really care much for decoration and things looking pretty, as long as it was good enough to live with, why change much? But after the mold and the weird tiles, he agreed that some things had to be done.

I'm going to show you step by step what we built to make this bathroom better. First, the sink cabinet you can see in the picture above. It was a 6€ IKEA cabinet, rather plain, but fit for our needs. The Doctor made the hole for the pipes a bit bigger so it would all fit and I made sure it looks a little nicer.





I went to the hardware store and bought new door knobs. I wanted them to look a little antique to fit into the new style we had in mind for the bathroom. They were cheap, easy to attach and made it look less plain - just what we were going for.

While I attached the door knobs, the Doctor prepared the new wallpaper for the shower. I helped him attach it and then painted the whole bathroom with latex paint. That way the mold can't return and the old wallpaper on the rest of the walls got white and shiny without having the renew it completely. After that, I cleaned the yellow-ish tiles, put foundation on it and painted them white with this special tile paint that's way too expensive. Luckily, I only needed one coat and the result was great.





We had a small cabinet in that corner (above the sink) that was really old, so we got rid of it. Instead, we bought a big framed mirror and a white wooden cupboard, held up by black cupboard-holder-uppers. In case you haven't noticed so far, I'm from Germany and not a native speaker, so I'm lacking words now and then. But I hope you know what I'm trying to say here! The result turned out neat and clean, we really love it and it was no work at all because there wasn't much DIY going on here.





In the mirror, you can also see our towel-hanger. Also from IKEA because they were having a bathroom-things-sale right when we needed it.

Next on our list was another shelf. In the corner next to our door, there was this huge cabinet that the old lady that used to live in our apartment bought. It had this yellow tint to it and was just too big for the room. So we decided to build our own shelf. We used white boards and more of those black holders, but it all to the right sizes and the Doctor was even nice enough to cut a heart into the back board AND he made me a wooden mustache, that I attached to the bottom. We hung it so I can -just- reach the top, that way we can keep our laundry basket underneath it.





Because I wanted it to look a bit tinier (and nobody has to see tampons and whatnot in my shelf), I went back to the hardware store with the measurements and luckily found those wooden boxes they sell for 2€ each in the perfect size. I didn't want them to just look woody and plain though and being a bit of a geek, I used a meme theme for them.





After that, we took a bit of a break before we renewed the floor and the toilet seat. We hung the shower curtain and then it looked like this.





Now, you can see the toilet seat in this picture. And I'm sure you'll understand that... well, let's just say it didn't quite go with the new style of the bathroom. I had something really special in mind for that one, but first we got our new toilet paper holder. And newspaper holder. A fusion of both even! The Doctor likes his crossword puzzles, so I bought him this neat little thing on Amazon.





And then, after weeks and weeks of waiting (we had the toilet seat sticker custom made), it finally arrived. Our new, awesome and unique toilet seat. And even though we've had it for a month or so now, I'm still absolutely in love with it.





I needed something funny that went with the theme of the bathroom and this was just perfect. And with that little toilet seat, our bathroom was finally finished. It's sad now that we have to move into a new apartment, but it was definitely worth the effort!

A little extra here: While the Doctor was on tour with his best friend, I added another piece to our bathroom. It's not permanent (I did use lots of sticky tape, so it's semi-permanent), but it definitely made them laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment