Pages

10/06/2012

Flea market finds

We shouldn't really buy new stuff before we move because that only means more things to carry into the truck and back out into the new apartment. But today, there was a huge flea market right around the corner. One that only takes place twice a year. So really, what choice did we have?

Flea markets in Germany aren't exactly flea markets you might know. Often, it's people that sell cheap clothes they imported from who-knows-where and there are no "real" flea market things to be found. But this one didn't allow such resellers or anything the like. It was good ol' flea market things.

We talked about what we want to buy beforehand so we don't end up with (too many) things we really don't need and can't use. Our goals were paintings, picture frames, possibly spoons (for a spoon project). I also had an old window and an old fence in mind for our kitchen, but that was just in case one had an old window and an old fence that were the right size and looked nice together. Not very likely. Other than that, old bench, mirrors, other wall-decoration I can't live without. We don't have much space in the new apartment, so we pretty much have to keep all decorating items on the wall.

I couldn't find everything I wanted, but I found some real treasures!

An old projector! The Doctor being event engineer, this is his field of expertise. Well, it would've been, if he was 50 years older. But he loves this kind of stuff, so now he can try to make it work, show it off to his coworkers and have fun with it. I'm a fan of it because it came in a really cool blue bag (and yes, both projector and bag need cleaning, it looks even worse in reality than it does on the picture) and I have in mind that we can buy old black-and-white movies and watch them in our garden one warm summer night. We got it for 12€ and it should be in working condition after the Doctor has looked at it.

That was actually the first thing we bought. I loved it right when I saw it, because it looks old. It's not really gold but wooden, so it's not too heavy and we didn't collapse after we had to drag it with us for the rest of our flea market visit. It has a few small dents, but hey, that's the charm of such old frames! We got it for 2.50€.


We got those two together for 10€. Apparently the painting in the smaller one is a copy of a super famous and expensive painting, but I just loved it for being an old, fat dude who drinks wine straight from the caraffe. The seller initially wanted 10€ for each, but gave in after a bit of persuasion. The frame above has a few dents and is splintered in one place, but I can work around that. And the fat dude is just plain awesome.

That was actually the Doctor's find and I like it. Since we got an oven in our new apartment, this is just perfect. It apparently also comes with a sausage stick, so I guess we're set for whatever might happen! We got it all together for 12€.

Isn't this freaking awesome? I wish we had separate bathrooms so we could put those up on the doors. I might hang it above each side of the bed. Or just into the living room gallery that I planned. But I love those pictures. We got them for 2€ each, you really can't beat that price!


No comments:

Post a Comment