Pages

10/13/2012

Wall Art Inspiration

In his room back at his mom's apartment, the Doctor had a huge picture on the wall. Not photo wallpaper or anything the like, but a real picture that he painted there. He told me that he'd like something similar in the new apartment and since most of the ideas are mine and rather... well, not exactly manly, I want to give him something that's his and that he can admire. Rather than the pretty paintings I'm hanging on the wall.

I googled black and white art, paintings, pictures, wall art and wall tattoos, but didn't find anything I liked. Most of it is girlish or floral and that's really not the right thing. In my head, I have a lot of ideas. But I'm not a good painter. It all looks great when I think of it, but the moment I try and draw, it turns into a mess. I need inspiration, I need something that I can look at and then draw something similar in order to make something that looks nice. The idea I had for the wall was a sort of "two against the world" or "breaking out" theme. Two people in a house on a hill (maybe those two people will be framed) and outside of the house and/or frame, everything's crazy. I thought of flesh-eating plants, zombies, wild patterns, unicorns and all that other stuff that goes on in my brain when I'm left to think.

And then, last night when I was about to fall asleep, it came to me. Insanely twisted shadow planet! For those who don't know: Insanely twisted shadow planet is an Xbox game that's rather Indie and one even I can play. It's relatively easy to draw because it's black and white and only has a few spots that are coloured and I'm pretty sure that it would look amazing.





In our life, it's sort of tradition that I watch the Doctor play Xbox. I don't watch every game he plays, but when he played Silent Hill, for example, I sat next to him annoying him because, of course, I always know better. "There's something on that wall over there!" "Go right, not left" "Oh my god there's a monster. Oops, just a tree." So having a pretty picture that reminds us of it and looks great would be perfect for our bedroom wall.

It also fits the theme of "two against the world" because well, in this game, you're playing a little space ship that needs to fight its way through an insanely twisted shadow planet. There are tons of great looking scenes in that game that we could incorporate into the picture on our wall. I'm saving a few right here so I don't forget and can get inspired by looking at them again.











I'm planning on borrowing a projector from the Doctor's workplace (he's an event engineer so they have tons of them) and projecting it on the wall in order to draw all this - and then it's time to paint! Another idea that just came to my mind was painting the curtain that will be in front of our closet with this. I'll have to think about that, I've never really painted on fabric and I'm afraid that it'd ruin the curtains, the floor or would just look weird. But it's an idea!

I could imagine something similar for a kid's room, too. Maybe not quite as dark, but hey, I'm most likely not going to use black paint but something grayish with red accents in it. We'll see about that once we're in the apartment, we still have six weeks to go and with our teeny tiny budget, wall paintings are really the last thing on our bucket list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment